How to Use UPI ATM to Withdraw Cash
We have all been in a situation when we are in urgent need of hard cash but don’t have our ATM card on us. But, the one thing that we are always (like 99% of the time) is our phones. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) understands that and has unveiled UPI ATM cash withdrawal capabilities. This innovative solution is aimed at simplifying the process of cardless cash withdrawals at ATMs, especially during emergencies.
A Guide to Withdraw Cash Using UPI ATM
If you find a UPI-compatible ATM, follow the steps below to withdraw cash from the ATM using your favorite UPI app:
- Select the “UPI Cardless Cash” or “UPI Cash Withdrawal” option from the options on the screen.
- Enter the desired amount you wish to withdraw in denominations of 100, 500, 1,000, 2,000, and 5,000 (depending on the ATM).
- Generate a single-use QR code for the chosen amount.
- Scan the QR code using any installed UPI app on your iPhone or Android phone.
- Authorize the transaction by inputting your UPI PIN.
- The ATM will dispense your cash and a confirmation notification will appear in your chosen UPI app.
- Remember to collect your cash before leaving the ATM kiosk.
Moreover, the NPCI has partnered with Hitachi Payment Services to launch the first-ever UPI ATM in India. The White Label ATM (WLA), known as the Hitachi Money Spot UPI ATM, will facilitate QR-based cardless cash withdrawal.
How Is UPI ATM Different from Cardless Cash Withdrawal?
With UPI-based cash withdrawal, you can enjoy the same seamless benefits as cardless cash withdrawal. However, the key difference is that you do not need to provide your phone number and rely on OTPs to verify your transaction. With the UPI ATM functionality, all you need to do is scan the displayed QR code on your smartphone. Union Minister Piyush Goyal posted a video on X (formerly Twitter) showcasing this feature in action:
![Twitter Video](insert link to the Twitter video)
Also, while using UPI ATMs, the withdrawal limit is set at Rs 10,000, and you will be able to easily switch between different accounts from your installed UPI app. The cash withdrawal will be part of your existing daily UPI transaction limit, so be careful while withdrawing money from ATMs.